[rescue] replacing an Ultra2

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Sun Apr 29 04:24:30 CDT 2007

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 21:26:27 -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Sat, 28 Apr 2007 @ 10:27 +0100, Mike Meredith said:
> > well ... in either direction. Why worry about it ? I just enjoy the
> > film and the book as separate things.
>
> Blade Runner at least kept the ideas of the original story, and the
> creator had the integrity to use a different name for it.
>
> Then look at Starship Troopers. They kept the base storyline, but
> removed most of the guts of the story. They should not have used the
> same title.

The difference is that Blade Runner is a *really* good film, and
Starship Troopers is just mindless drivel. Enjoyable mindless drivel
mind. Book? WhatB4s that ?

> 	- I would redo Starship Troopers with about 25% of the action
> of the disaster version, and put the heart and soul of Heinlein back
> in it.  It would probably be about 6 hours long and no one would
> 	  watch it, but dammit... it would be good.

I think thereB4s at least three (now) who want to see that.

> 	- I would make war movies that did *NOT* cover WWII and
> Vietnam.  In particular I'd cover WWI, the Hundred Years War, and
> focus on some of the important ancient battles.

ThereB4s probably a bigger market for WWI films than many realise ...
for instance WWI films would do better over here than Vietnam films
(and those donB4t do too badly). One of the last WWI veterans spends a
great deal of time talking to school children over here; it is very
obvious that the children are completely fascinated by his story.