[rescue] replacing an Ultra2

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Apr 28 20:12:16 CDT 2007

Fri, 27 Apr 2007 @ 18:55 -0400, Sandwich Maker said:

> " From: Mike Meredith <very at zonky.org>
> "
> " Blade Runner is a great film, but it isn't the same story as Electric
> " Sheep, although it is based on the story. Electric Sheep is a great
> " deal deeper and the action is secondary to the ideas whereas Blade
> " Runner is the other way around (a very simplistic explanation of the
> " difference).
>
> welcome to hollywood.

Actually, in this case, no.

This was a Ridley Scott film, and like Kubrick, he often does his own
thing.

The main problem is the audience: most people are too numb to go see a
truly good movie.  The original PK Dick story would have put most
audiences to sleep.

I would say that Scott did a pretty good job of getting the themes in
the book (and some others) onto the screen, given the general opposition
to such movies and stories.

It's really amazing that Blade Runner was made at all, because 90%
of the audience doesn't even know what it was about, and there was
opposition to releasing it.  We are lucky we got to see it at all.

You would be amazed at how many films are made and no one ever sees
them, because Hollywood thinks they won't sell, or they have political
reasons for doing it.

It's very hard to get a movie out that is deep, tells the naked truth,
or has libertarian political messages, or in any way takes a good look
at anything technical.

Hollywood also hates movies that don't fit certain molds.

"The World's Fastest Indian" was a great movie, but it was pulled in
some areas after only showing for 5 days. Hollywood thought it sucked,
which pretty much garanteed it was good, so I went to see it.

"The Pianist" had to fight to get screen time, because Hollywood said it
was dull, boring, and mindless.

Almost all racing movies are blindly stupid, and have little to do with
racing. If you made a movie truly about racing, it would probably get
cancelled or limited showing. A good example is the 60s racing movie,
Formula One I think. It bombed because the audience was bored with a
racing movie that actually showed racing and the people involved.

But then, I'm preaching to the choir.

--
shannon           | Work for something because it is good, not just because