[rescue] replacing an Ultra2

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Apr 27 15:06:49 CDT 2007

Fri, 27 Apr 2007 @ 13:48 -0500, Michael Parson said:

> Only stuff that needs the firmware are hard drive controllers you want
> to boot off of and graphics adapters.

Well, hard drive controllerss are a popular upgrade.

Video is more important to most users though.

It's too bad we still have to put up with things like this after all of
these years.

I'm surprised Apple didn't break down and just provide a boot-time
emulation for PC ROMs to allow more options. Just enough to get a VESA
card to boot the system until a proper driver can take over.

> > Oh well, it's only been 15 years or so.  PCI will have standard firmware
> > any day now... really...
>
> Same problem with PCI Sun gear.

Yes. I can't quite figure out exactly what went wrong. There was all
this talk to make ROMs universal, a few interesting examples, and then
it just died.

--
shannon           | I wish life was not so short. Languages take such a time,