[rescue] replacing an Ultra2

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Apr 26 19:43:15 CDT 2007

Tue, 24 Apr 2007 @ 20:34 +0100, Peter Corlett said:

> In both cases, I didn't actually *choose* the case, merely ended up
> with whatever it came with. My real computers were specced entirely

Oh, I figured that.  Didn't mean it as a criticism of you.

I have tons of stuff that isn't quite what I need, but does the job
anyway.

For that matter, Suns need some literal hacking (as in with a hacksaw)
for certain kinds of work.

> by myself and seem to pretty much all fit. The PCs are generally of
> fairly shoddy build even so, whereas the Mac and Sun kit is nice and
> solid.

My frankenmachine is not perfect, but certainly not of shoddy build.

Everything fits perfectly, layout is good, and the case is decent.

It is all pretty low end, but I took 6 months to actually buy it, making
sure I got parts that all worked together and were on the market for at
least a year so I could get more information about them.

Even if I had the money, I'd probably still build myself.

In fact, if I had a lot of money and bought an Apple, first thing I
would do is toss their low end video and hard drives and get something
better.

--
shannon           | We are all of us in the gutter, some of us looking at the