[rescue] replacing an Ultra2

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Apr 24 12:58:46 CDT 2007

Tue, 24 Apr 2007 @ 10:25 -0500, Bill Bradford said:

> On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 12:41:09PM +0100, Peter Corlett wrote:
> > Similarly,
> > my home fileserver has had to have similar treatment on its SATA port
> > because it's fouled by actually putting a hard disk rather than a floppy
> > drive in the second drive bay.
>
> Am I the only person who wishes for some kind of positive friction

SATA connectors are supposed to have enough friction to hold connection
under normal circumstances.

They didn't seem to put much thought into clamping for situations where
vibration or cable stress is an issue.

Mine work pretty good, but I've worked on systems where they were pretty
loose.

> or clamp connection for SATA data connectors?

There is at least one clamp standard, but someone here reported it
didn't work very well.

Something that might work: years ago I used to get some stuff from
Radio Shack that was used to lock electronic components and screws on
projects. It was usually red, kind of transparent when dry.

> I swear, the SATA cable going from my motherboard (ASRock
> 939Dual-SATA2) to my Hitachi 80G SATA drive (on my Windows gaming box)
> will dislodge if I look at it funny.  I've been tempted to tape it in
> place.

That tape used on new printers to hold them together in shipping would
probably work right. It's real thin, usually red. Can you buy it
anywhere?

--
shannon           | Castles are sacked in war, Chieftains are scattered far,