[rescue] Sun wants money for patch bundles?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Apr 21 11:23:06 CDT 2007

Fri, 13 Apr 2007 @ 16:01 -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke said:

> > For a hobbyist, there's no way I'm shelling out $240 per year for
> > their entry-level contract...
>
> Perhaps if we all donated something approaching that level of cash to
> our favorite BSD projects instead of Sun so that we'd get more complete
> support on our lovely purple hardware....

For some reason, BSD never seems to get much support, not even from the
people who push it all the time.

I have given money to the BSD projects when I could, but I have a
feeling I'm one of a tiny few.

Linux, meanwhile, gets all the funding and attention.

> This is, by the way, a double-stab in the eye for people who actually
> -bought- Solaris 8 and Solaris 9 under the presumption that patches
> would continue to be available.

You mean you expected them to support you just because you supported
them?

How naive... :)

I hear you screaming.  The whole software industry has a lot to answer
for in my opinion.

--
shannon           | The grieving lords take ship.  With these our very souls