[rescue] UNIVAC looking awfully modern (ebay)

Ron Wickersham rjw at alembic.com
Fri Apr 20 15:14:41 CDT 2007

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> http://cgi.ebay.com/UNIVAC-circuit-board-scarce-and-as-new-gold-pins-more_W0QQitemZ160106706319QQihZ006QQcategoryZ74946QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
>
> Why does this UNIVAC board have a fairly modern surface-mount IC?
>
> Anyone know what this really is?
>
> My guess: It's a board from the bus of a stereo receiver.
>
> My Teac receiver has boards just like this in it.

with core memory torroids on it?    i think this might be a 40-bit register.
if you look on the bottom of the board you'll see the IC is thru-hole with
a fairly large footprint.   we had flat-pak devices that were serface-mount
for both digital and analog parts but this certainly appears to be a
plastic moulded device, but i'll bet it's considerably larger than the ones
in your receiver...those two resistors are 1-watt size based on comparing
with the glass-cased diodes.   it's a bit hard to see things in his photo
and with the thick conformal-coating over all the parts and solder.  but you
can see one connection from the square pad in the corner farthest from the
plug-in connector has a separate lead that goes directly to the IC-like
device.

great that you found it and posted the link!

-ron