[rescue] replacing an Ultra2

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Apr 19 19:07:14 CDT 2007

Wed, 18 Apr 2007 @ 17:22 -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke said:

> He started by completely unscrewing one side of CPU carrier, -lifting up
> on it-, and then remembering he had to unscrew the other side.  You
> Don't Do That with US-III edge connectors.  I asked him if that's how he
> installed it, so he proceeded to show me; that he did exactly that,
> while using a cheap ratchet instead of the Sun-supplied torque tool.

You know, if you are having to babysit...

> He returned about a week later with a new CPU, which he hurriedly
> installed, after which the system didn't come up at all.  So, he tried
> the other slot; still didn't come up.  I turned around in time to see
> him trying the original slot by forcing the module in using a pair of
> pliers.

Ouch.

I can't understand why people resort to brute force. Usually that means
something is wrong.

I saw a guy the other day installing RAM in a workstation, and he pushed
so hard on the DIMMs that the motherboard struck its tray bottom.

I think some people are rough with computers because they think it makes
them look confident and knowledgable.

>    "GET THE HELL OUT OF MY WORKROOM."
>
> http://jonathan.celestrion.net/photos/ngc/

That sucks. Good that you took pictures. I need to be better about
documenting things when other people work on my stuff like that.

I work for a guy now off and on, and I'm trying to get him to record
system information in a notebook attached to each system, and also take
pictures on a scheduled basis. He has a lot of venduh issues, and it
would help him make his case against the bad ones.

Do you do this all the time as a habit, or just this once?

> Now we buy our own spare parts, and I install them.  Life is good.

There have been times when I appreciated having someone else do that
stuff.  I'm mostly a programmer so it helps me keep busy.

However, when I got started working, the shops where I worked had no
admins. If you wanted to program, you also helped take care of admin
tasks.

It's taken me awhile to get to where I can ignore one job when assigned
the other.

I still prefer small shops where there is less job separation, but
understand the need for larger organizations to specialize a bit.

> Bad-enough as that was, I can't think of many things that could beat
> Pete Wargo's story of the CSE seating node boards in an E10000 by
> -kicking them- into the midplane.

Hey, I saw a guy install a VMEbus CPU once by standing on it.

	GROAN SQUEAK SQUEAK GROAN CRUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNCH!

Always remember the electron-stupidity rule.

--
shannon           | Work for something because it is good, not just because