[rescue] Upgrading Ultra 2

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Apr 19 08:35:53 CDT 2007

>From: Bryan Gurney <arb_npx42 at comcast.net>
>Date: 2007/04/18 Wed PM 09:00:26 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Upgrading Ultra 2

>On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 21:46:40 -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at zill.net>
>wrote:
>
>> On Apr 18, 2007, at 9:29 PM, Ron Wickersham wrote:
>>
>>> it's remarkable how truly useful a U2 is.  does anyone know if it came
>>> out a long time before the two-processor PCI units like Ultra 30 or the
>>> E220R which has the same motherboard as the Ultra 30?
>>
>> Supposedly there is a prototype Ultra2 with PCI somewhere at Sun.
>>
>> Aside from that, the first PCI SPARC was the OEM motherboard that Sun
>> Microelectronics produced in late 1996.
>>
>> The U2 was launched Q4 1995 I believe, Ultra 30 was launched July 1997
>> according to what I can find online.
>>
>> --Patrick
>
>SunWorld, November 1995:
>http://sunsite.uakom.sk/sunworldonline/swol-11-1995/swol-11-fusion.hardware.html
>
>$60K for an Ultra 2 Creator back then?  Wow.

I've literally got two dozen stacked in my garage like firewood...

Anyone interested? I plan on building up some base systems[0] to be "sold" at TCF this year for something more than Free.

Lionel

[0] I plan to make systems with one 300 MHz CPUs, 256 or 512 Meg RAM, an HD of some size (likely 9 Gig), CD-ROM, and maybe a TGX framebuffer. I'll  probably make up some more with 2x 200 MHz CPUs as well...

Lord only knows what I'll do with SS5, ss10, ss20, and Ultra 1s... It's looking like I'm going to recycle them unless I can find a home for them...

Lionel