[rescue] replacing an Ultra2

Ron Wickersham rjw at alembic.com
Wed Apr 18 18:43:20 CDT 2007

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007, Patrick Finnegan wrote:

> On Wednesday 18 April 2007 18:22, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> > He returned about a week later with a new CPU, which he hurriedly
> > installed, after which the system didn't come up at all.  So, he
> > tried the other slot; still didn't come up.  I turned around in time
> > to see him trying the original slot by forcing the module in using a
> > pair of pliers.
> >
> >    "GET THE HELL OUT OF MY WORKROOM."
> >
> > http://jonathan.celestrion.net/photos/ngc/
>
> Ahh, those connectors.
>
> I've accidentally mangled one or two of those before I figure out how to
> properly install a CPU into an Ultra 5... but they are actually
> possible to fix, as long as you don't manage to break any pins off, at
> least.
>
> Still, not much fun to try and fix...

these are much longer than on an Ultra 5.  the ones used in the big purple
UltraSPARC III cpu and also in the memory expansion connector in the E420R
(and i'm assuming the Ultra 80 since they have the same motherboard).  the
connectors have jack screws to extract and install the mating half of the
connector and i presume that there is a close limit of the torque required
to make a reliable connection and enough to destroy the connector so they
provide a torque wrench (of sorts) if you don't have the professional tool
to do it.

-ron