[rescue] replacing an Ultra2

Steve Sandau ssandau at gwi.net
Tue Apr 17 05:03:51 CDT 2007

Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 09:46:26PM -0400, Steve Sandau wrote:
>>> Not bad at all, except for that 1300W power supply.
>> You mean that is uses a lot of juice, or is there something else?
>
> Exactly.  While SB1K/2Ks are nice machines, I *hate* that lopsided case
> design (due to the PSU).
>
> Okay, I'm mistaken - here's what Sunsolve says about the SB1/2K:
> AC input  	100 - 240 VAC 47 - 63 Hz, 8 A(max) 0.875 KVA
>
> So, not *quite* as bad.  I wonder why I was thinking 1300W?
>
> It's still 8.75x as much as my iMac, though.

This helps me think through my needs again, and makes me realize that I
am confusing what I want in a desktop with what I want in a server. I
was thinking that a machine with multiple CPUs and a bunch of RAM would
be good to work on zones in Solaris 10, and that faster CPUs would be
nice in a desktop unit. Those should probably be separate goals.

Probably what I really want to do is to replace the U2 as a desktop with
a faster single CPU box (Blade 100?) and use the U2 (which runs Sol10
anyway and has 1.25GB of RAM) to play with zones. If I can get the SSA
to work with Sol10, so much the better.

And, with as many as 10 systems running at once here, I really don't
need to add to the electric bill.

Steve