[rescue] replacing an Ultra2

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 18:09:59 CDT 2007

On 16 Apr 2007, at 21:58, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> Steve Sandau wrote:
>
>> Basically I'd like a faster main workstation that is not PeeCee
>> crap. I
>> have to deal with Dells and such all too often.\
>
> The Sun U20 is a fairly bog standard Opteron PC, so if you don't
> like the
> Dells, you might not like the U20 either.

I object. I have had a snoop around a Java Workstation 20 (the U20's
predecessor) and the build quality alone is a light year ahead of
Dell's. It's nothing short of what you would expect from Sun. I think
Steve's point was not that he is avoiding x86/x64 hardware, just that
he wants to avoid poor quality, shoddily built and overpriced crap
(see Dell Precision 490/690).

> Try to go see one if you can.

I can't disagree there, I always try before I buy on anything.

> It's a decent machine as PCs go.  One caveat is despite the size of
> the case,
> it skimps on internal drive bays, and its design makes some PC
> expansion
> options difficult.  The latter is an issue in a lot of new PC cases
> that
> use that kind of airflow system, not unique to Sun.

I think the lack of drive bays compared to generic workstations from
Dell et al. is a fallacy. What the sam hill do you need 3x 5.25" bays
and 2x 3.5" bays for these days? For most Workstations a DVD-RW and 2
hard drives is all you need. I feel spoilt having 4 hard drive bays
and 2x Optical bays in my Mac Pro...

> If it were me, I would buy it bare as possible, and then upgrade
> outside of Sun.
>
> I don't know what would happen to your warranty if you upgrade
> CPUs, but a lot
> of people have done it.

I'm pretty sure you'd void it. You automatically void Apple
warranties if you use a non-Apple supplied CPU, I'd imagine Sun are
similar. It's mostly about the manufacturer's ability to warrant that
all major components are of their own high standards and installed
according to their own guidelines. Installing RAM ins one thing,
swapping CPUs has the potential to end in disaster even if, I would
imagine, every soul on this particular list is capable of doing it to
close to the same standard as a certified engineer. You have to
account for over-eager 'users' in the equation ;o)

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://mdblog.68kmac.org>