[rescue] Finding antique machines

Jeremy Grosser synack at csh.rit.edu
Mon Apr 16 09:49:14 CDT 2007

There's already a PDP-11 in the dorms at RIT... Computer Science House
has one that even boots up. An alumni came and gave a seminar on
assembly programming for it a few months ago.

There used to be a lot of SGI hardware on campus and you can still
find some of it here and there but most of it has been thrown out by
now. As far as I know, most of the larger businesses in Rochester sell
off their old hardware to either http://www.rochestercomputer.com/ or
http://www.maventech.com/ You might want to get in touch with either
of them if you're looking to buy some old stuff. They're usually happy
to get it off their hands. Rochester Computer also retails through
ebay under the seller name 'electronicscafe' and they don't mind if
you want to pick things up locally to avoid shipping charges.

In a few of the departments around campus, they'll just dump the stuff
in the tunnels and wait for it to disappear. Usually it's really old
and useless (eg. stripped bare Pentium Pro) but sometimes you find
really neat stuff (like a pile of NuBus cards for old Macs). The first
place I'd look for this sort of thing would be in the basement of the
Gosnell building (no. 8).

Finally, make friends with anybody you know working at ITS... When
they go to throw things out, they usually ask employees if they want
it first.

Good luck! Let me know if you find anything interesting.

On 4/15/07, John Floren <slawmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey everybody, me again.
> For some time I've been kicking around the idea of starting up a sort
> of Vintage Computing Club here at the Rochester Institute of
> Technology. I think there's a few people here that would be
> interested, but that's not the point of this email. I'm wondering: how
> hard is it to find PDP-11's, VAXen, and similar old hardware these
> days? We're in a decent-sized city; are there still businesses that
> have these things in their basement, just waiting for a tax-deductable
> donation? Or would I have to somehow connive RIT into giving me a
> couple hundred bucks so I can go junkyard-searching? ;)
> Thanks
>

> John Floren
> --
> Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Jeremy Grosser
www.neohippie.net