[rescue] replacing an Ultra2

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Sun Apr 15 22:58:17 CDT 2007

On Apr 15, 2007, at 7:44 PM, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 06:38:05PM -0400, Joshua Boyd wrote:
>> I'd like to see basic OpenGL when running linux on it.
>> I haven't actually used parallels.  I might get it sometime this
>> summer,
>> eventually.
>
> As much as I like Parallels, I'm becoming really enchanted with VMWare
> (particuarly ESX) at work.  I've consolidated four or five old Dell
> Precision 220-class/vintage machines onto new RHEL4 VMs on our ESX
> cluster so far, and have a few more to go.  It's nice being rid of old
> flaky hardware, without having to actually buy new hardware.
>
> Most of the stuff I'm consolidating is low-load machines like mail
> routers, DNS servers, NIS/LDAP gateways, internal mailing list
> servers,
> etc.

Where I work we are using VMWare Server for RT and CVS.
Additionally, VMWare is used a tremendous amount for software
development and testing.

I wish we could get the IT budget to move nearly everything to a pair
of VMWare Servers along with a huge file server, and maybe a
dedicated Exchange server.