[rescue] replacing an Ultra2

Steve Sandau ssandau at gwi.net
Sat Apr 14 12:07:14 CDT 2007

> I use Parallels, but VMWare is avail (still in Beta) for Mac:
>
> http://www.vmware.com/products/beta/fusion/
>
>> I am quite fond of my MacBook Pro, but it is a bit out of your target
>> price range (closer to $1,500 that $1,000), but MacBooks are $1,000
>> and up new, IIRC...
>
> I got a Black MacBook (2 Ghz, 2 Gigs RAM, 120 Gig HD) back in February.
> With AppleCare, Toast 8 Titanium, and a year of .Mac, and my corp
> discount, I forked out just shy of $2300.  The only reason I got the
> extended memory was because I knew I was going to be using some sort of
> virtualization on it (I hadn't decided if it was going to be Parallels,
> VMWare, or something else just yet).  Otherwise, the stock ram (1 Gig)
> would have probably been plenty.

Thanks for all the advice. It started to look like a choice between a
dual SPARC CPU Blade and a dual-core x64 CPU U20 pretty quickly.

I was starting to lean towards (and maybe I am still) a SunBlade (love
those USiii CPUs). But if I could run other OSes in a VMWare type
environment on an Ultra 20, that might be a point in the U20's favor.

Anyone do anything like this? I don't even know if VMWare or something
like it is available for Solaris x64. Seems that a lot of things are
available for Linux, SPARC Solaris and OSX, and that is it...

Steve S