[rescue] replacing an Ultra2

Steve Sandau ssandau at gwi.net
Fri Apr 13 20:04:01 CDT 2007

I know this is not really a *rescue* since I will probably only be
rescuing a system from Sun or Anysystem, but I am looking for
suggestions from people with a clue. ;-)

I am thinking about replacing my faithful Ultra 2 with something (Sun) a
little faster and more capable. (The Ultra 2 would become a test
database server probably.)

I'm thinking up to $1,000 of tax return money may be available. I see
that the Sun Ultra 20 starts at $895, but that only has 512M. It is,
however, a 1.8GHz dual-core Opteron, which would certainly outperform my
2x300MHz/1G Ultra 2.

Anysystem has some interesting things like a Sun Blade 1000 with 2x750
USiii and 2G of RAM for $795. (Or how about the Sun E4500 Ugly Duckling
14x 400MHz with 14 GB RAM for $795!) Anysystem also has Ultra 20s, but
they don't mention price. I assume that would be less than a new unit
from Sun...

Basically I'd like a faster main workstation that is not PeeCee crap. I
have to deal with Dells and such all too often.

Suggestions or opinions?

Steve S