[rescue] Google Map - My Map feature

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Apr 11 13:12:33 CDT 2007

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 08:50:44 -0500 (CDT)
Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:

> >From: Steve Hatle <shatle at nfldinet.com>
> >Date: 2007/04/10 Tue AM 08:45:27 CDT
> >To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> >Subject: Re: [rescue] Google Map - My Map feature
>
> >Nah- you might want some government left to negotiate with, but you
> >definitely want to take out the people who can shoot back :-)
>
> Negotiate what, posession of the charred remains? The big hole?
> Knocked-over buildings?
>
> Honestly, there is no winning in a nuclear strike,

I think you mean war not strike.

Technically speaking, all wars are a loss to some degree.

Personally, I believe MAD was founded on assumptions which might not have
been true:

1) That the nuclear weapons would have been fully utilized.
2) That all sides would have the will to continue to the bitter end.
3) Equal capability in all sides' early warning system
4) Nuclear war would be an all or nothing affair.  This is increasingly
   unlikely, especially with nuclear proliferation, but I'm not sure
   it was even true during the Cold War.

Of course, the only thing needed for MAD to work was belief that it would
work, so I suppose it served its purpose.

However, things have changed to the point where I'm not sure it still works,
or at least not as well.

--
shannon / 4649 5920 4320 204e 4452 5420 5348 5920 4820 2056 2054 434d 2048
-------'  4d54 2045 204e 5259 4820 444e 0a53