[rescue] BBS

Micah R Ledbetter vlack-lists at vlack.com
Wed Apr 11 00:18:36 CDT 2007

On Apr 10, 2007, at 20:58, John Floren wrote:

> Hi guys. This is a little off-topic, but I figure the historical
> nature of the list makes it relevant.
> I go to tech college, so I've got phone service that I'm not using and
> lots of geeks right on campus. Some friends and I were toying with the
> idea of putting up a dial-in BBS, but we're not sure what software
> would be the best choice. So, I'm looking for suggestions. I've got a
> PIII system lying around to mess with. I'd *like* to use a UNIX-like
> OS underneath, but I guess DOS wouldn't be too bad. I'd rather not use
> Windows, if possible ;)
> Well, let's hope I can find an external modem soon!

There's always Hotline, which has various *nix ports for servers and
clients. It's not dial-in, but it gives that BBS "experience" (well,
OK, I may be talking out of my ass here, since I'm too *young* to
have used a dial-in)... it has a basic chat, threaded news, and files
interface.

If you want something modern and actively developed, try KDX;
however, that's proprietary, costs per *client* (this is pretty
stupid for a BBS app, IMO), and is coded by a complete moron. But
hey, it has some nice features.

  - Micah