[rescue] Google Map - My Map feature

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Apr 10 13:36:03 CDT 2007

>From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm at mendelson.com>
>Date: 2007/04/10 Tue AM 10:18:06 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Google Map - My Map feature

>On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 02:42:35PM +0100, Peter Corlett wrote:
>> That'd be Redmond then.
>
>Somebody convinced T.J. Watson Sr. (the head of IBM) that in the 1950's.
>I don't know much about him but Doctor Stranglove was modeled after him.
>
>Due to his convincing, Watson moved IBM's headquaters from Manhatten
>(55 Park Avenue) to some small town no one had ever heard of in upstate
>New York.

Mobil Oil moved it's coporate data center out of NYC and into my neighborhood in the late '60s/early '70s to get away from the folks that had a habit of blowing up corporate data centers/office spaces with homemade bombs as a form of protest to an unpopular police action on the other side of the Pacific...

They also built a duplicate/disaster recover data center in Houston, and split their production workload across the two centers each with enough excess capacity to absorb the processing done at the other center in the event it became, uhm, unavailable...

Lionel