[rescue] I got a new Octane! Why can't I talk to it?

Micah R Ledbetter vlack-lists at vlack.com
Sat Apr 7 02:40:46 CDT 2007

On Apr 7, 2007, at 01:18, der Mouse wrote:

>> This is really annoying, because I'm pretty sure when I bought these
>> adapters on ebay, they said that it would work in Suns, SGIs, and
>> other manufacturers' machines.
>
> It probably *will* work...under certain conditions (such as, the
> monitor does sync-on-green).
 >
> The troublesome 13W3-to-DE15 adapter I reported upthread does work
> fine
> on Suns...some Suns.  And, probably, all Suns with some monitors.

Fortunately, my monitor is sync-on-green.

This particular 13w3->HD15 adapter:
   - worked out of the box on all Suns I've tried it on: Ultra2s, SS5s
   - worked out of the box on an SGI Indy I used to have
   - did not work out of the box on this SGI Octane
   - DID work on this SGI Octane after breaking off the 3 pins on the
inside

... all with the same SOG monitor. At least, I'm pretty sure it was
the same.

IME, The adapter works on my SS5s and U2s with *any* SOG monitor,
including my Apple 17" Trinitron, my 15" older Sony Trinitron, and a
random 15" LCD I have, while it does not work with any non-SOG monitor.

  - Micah