[rescue] I got a new Octane! Why can't I talk to it?

Mr Ian Primus ian_primus at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 4 11:21:49 CDT 2007

> > A quick fix to the above problem, assuming you are
> sure that your
> > monitor supports Sync on Green and you are willing
> to commit an
> > adapter to this purpose, is to snap off the 13
> pins in the middle.
>
> Well, 10 pins, but yeah.  This works only if both
> the video hardware
> and the monitor do sync-on-green (the former may be
> true of all SGIs
> for all I know).

I did something very similar to get my first SGI (an
Indigo 2) to work with PC clone monitor (that
supported sync on green) - only I built an adapter
that went from 15 pin VGA M-F that only carried six
wires (R,G,B, and their respective grounds) through
it, and used it with a 13W3-VGA adapter. It worked
wonderfully.

-Ian