[rescue] cisco 17xx ?

Phil Brutsche phil at tux.obix.com
Fri Oct 27 12:08:14 CDT 2006

William Kirkland wrote:
> anyone know where I might obtain a couple of cisco 1700 series
> routers *cheep*? ... less than $50 each? (It's what I can come up
> with ... just want them for personal education)

Your best bet would be a 17x0 - a 1720 or a 1750.

The 17x1s (1721s and 1751s) have two problems that make me not recommend
them:
a) Heavily counterfeited by the $#@! mainland Chinese - if you find one
in your price bracket it is *not* Cisco - it's a substandard copy
b) they take more memory than a 17x0, which leaves in higher demand and
therefore cost more - IOS is a memory hog these days, and routers with
more DRAM can run IOS releases with greater feature sets.

I work at a used Cisco reseller, but it doesn't look like we have any on
hand, otherwise I would talk up my employer ;)

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at tux.obix.com