[rescue] Using old MC5 terminal on Sun Fire V210

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Wed Oct 11 09:45:50 CDT 2006

On Oct 11, 2006, at 9:27 AM, Andrew Weiss wrote:

> On Oct 11, 2006, at 10:17 AM, William Enestvedt wrote:
>

>>    The banner admits that I have a keyboard installed, which it
>> then ignores.
>> The keyboard is in a handy-dandy rack-mount LCD/KVM/keyboard unit
>> that works
>> so well once the server actually boots.
>>
>>    I have a feeling I'm getting frustrated and not thinking clearly
>> here.
>> Time for a walk! :7)
>
> Don't you need to pull the keyboard off and use only the Terminal?
>
> I've always considered the built-in keyboard port only for use if you
> are using a frame-buffer.  I think the serial terminal ignores input
> if a keyboard is detected.

That is it's default response yes.  It can be set to do otherwise but
you have to specifically set the output variables in the NVRAM or it
won't work.

Even then I don't know if there'll be a getty(ish) problem with
whatever OS is being loaded.

Mike Hebel
----
A choice between two things. The forked road, a crossroad are an end
given life must take in order to stay alive. Whichever end they live
on, they lose something. Whichever end they live on, they are unable to
find happiness, but are there really only two paths to a forked road?
No, there are infinite paths we must take. There is more than one path.
There is more than one path to the future.- Vash