[rescue] LSI Logic 22915 Issues

J. Alexander Jacocks jjacocks at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 02:18:50 CST 2006

I told my buddy to buy an LSI Logic 22915 PCI card from eBay, for use in an
x86, under Linux. However, when the card arrived, it had EFI firmware
loaded, for hp-ux/Itanium.

He then tried to flash the LSI-provided x86 BIOS onto the card, with no
success.  The flash succeeded, but the card hangs the x86, on boot.

If the card is booted with no firmware chip installed, the Linux sym driver
complains as follows:

sym0: <1010-66> rev 0x1 at pci 0000:01:0a.0 irq 11
sym0: Symbios NVRAM, ID 7, Fast-80, LVD, parity checking
sym0: open drain IRQ line driver, using on-chip SRAM
sym0: using LOAD/STORE-based firmware.
sym0: handling phase mismatch from SCRIPTS.
CACHE TEST FAILED: timeout.
sym0: CACHE INCORRECTLY CONFIGURED.
sym0: giving up ...
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKH] enabled at IRQ 9
PCI: setting IRQ 9 as level-triggered
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:01:0a.1[B] -> Link [LNKH] -> GSI 9 (level, low) ->
IRQ 9
sym0: <1010-66> rev 0x1 at pci 0000:01:0a.1 irq 9
sym0: Symbios NVRAM, ID 7, Fast-80, LVD, parity checking
sym0: open drain IRQ line driver, using on-chip SRAM
sym0: using LOAD/STORE-based firmware.
sym0: handling phase mismatch from SCRIPTS.
CACHE TEST FAILED: timeout.
sym0: CACHE INCORRECTLY CONFIGURED.
sym0: giving up ...

But, the card is seen on the PCI bus:

$ /usr/sbin/lspci  | grep SCSI
01:0a.0 SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c1010 66MHz
Ultra3 SCSI Adapter (rev 01)
01:0a.1 SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c1010 66MHz
Ultra3 SCSI Adapter (rev 01)

I'm assuming that the failure is due to the card not being properly
initialized without firmware.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get the desired firmware onto the
card?  I've never had this problem with x86-loaded LSI cards flashed with
sparc/solaris firmware.

Pics here:
http://q.dyndns.org/~blc/lsi/1280x960/

Also, if anyone would like to use the above card for an hp-ux/Itanium
system, let me know...I'd be happy to pass it on to someone who could use
it, if my buddy can't.

Thanks!

--
bc3c: there are only a few things people really want... food, shelter, and
no ED