[rescue] Anyone interested in a Sun E3000?

Wesley W. Will wwill at siu.edu
Wed Nov 29 14:06:14 CST 2006

William Enestvedt wrote:
> Doug wrote;
>> I had to measure [the E3000] because it's not actually in a rack,
>> but no, it isn't on wheels, either.
>>

>    Installing the E3x00s is cool: they arrive on a tiny pallet, with
> these two foam ramps faced in masonite (or whatever) that the CPU rides
> down to the floor.

There's your problem.  Don't ramp them to the floor and then have to
lift the confounded beast back up to clear the rack frame.  Put the
still-palletized but unlimbered box, without the ramps, against the rack
and slide it into place.  (It helps a lot to put small blocks - 2x4 or
the like - underneath it to help hold it at the correct height while you
get the slides and rails bolted up.)

I don't know if that will work for an E3000, but it surely did for a
similar 10KVA racked UPS system that weighed close to 200 kilos (with
batteries).