[rescue] Anyone interested in a Sun E3000?

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 12:14:31 CST 2006

Ethan O'Toole wrote:
>> I thought E450s were "capable" of being installed one over one, for two units in a rack, assuming, of course, you have the requisite "superhuman" strength to lift the E450 up 4 feet off the ground...
>
> There are shelf kits to mount E450s in racks. You could prob fit 3 in a
> rack.
>
> My most horrible Sun memory was not putting V880 in rack, but was SunFire
> 4800 ... two in rack, the top one... Take the CPU cards out, it gets a
> whole lot lighter in weight.

The heaviest rackmount (rather than framemount -- there's some heavy-ass
IBM framemount gear out there) item I ever mounted high in a rack was a
DEC GIGAswitch.  I did it singlehandedly too.  It was a bitch.  I used a
high motorcycle scissors lift to get it high enough to slide it back
into the rack.

Peace...  Sridhar