[rescue] DLT drive dead want to replace without rebooting

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Tue Nov 28 09:57:11 CST 2006

On Nov 28, 2006, at 9:47 AM, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

> Brian Deloria wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>>   I've got a DLT drive that bit the dust, and I've been doing some
>> research
>> here and I'd like to hotswap the drive with it's replacement when it
>> gets
>> here, however I'm not sure how nor do I know if I can reset the scsi
>> bus.
>> The tape drive is on it's own controller which is the first good
>> thing.
>>
>>   I'm reluctant to reboot the machine for one simple reason my
>> predecessor
>> suspected that the NVRAM had gone bad, it's been online for over 600
>> days,
>> and if the NVRAM gets replaced then there's several software
>> licesnses that
>> are bound to the hostid which would cause a great deal of grief.
>
> What platform are you on?

That was going to be my question too.

If it's Sun and you follow the NVRAM ID Replacement steps:

http://www.bhargavaz.net/nvram/nvram.html

You should be able to have it come back up with the right HOSTID
without a problem

IIRC there was a way to do that on SGI equipment as well.

Mike Hebel
----
Self protection: the means of protecting one's self. People expose the
weaknesses which pain them, and thus form a group. Before they know it
they begin to exclude those who are not one of them, but what becomes
of those who have been excluded? I smiled at the children who lived in
a tight group in their rickety house. Sure, let's live today, let's
live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means
living in eternal pain. - Vash