[rescue] WTB: SunBlade 1000 DIMM

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Nov 27 18:23:02 CST 2006

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006, r.stricklin wrote:

> I have an SB1000 with a faulted DIMM.

As rare as grains of sand, it seems.  SB1000s eat DIMMs like I eat
stir-fry.

> Anybody know where I can get a single 1 GB module for a reasonable
> price? I don't want to spend $300 to find out the machine has other
> problems besides the memory error.

$300 is a fair price for that very unusual memory; it was much higher
when I last priced it.  However, your hunch is correct--the machine has
far greater problems than a faulted DIMM.  For starters, it's a SB1000;
you should consider resolving that problem as soon as possible.  SB1000s
are money-sinks.

I've had nearly zero good luck with the SB1000, as a platform.  They're
very nice systems when they're happy, but the parts are expensive,
fragile, uncommon, and failure-prone.

If you don't need stellar I/O performance, the SB1500 is an acceptable
substitute, and its memory is only uncomfortably expensive, instead of
unreasonably so.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Some people grow out of the petty theft of
Elgin, TX         (   childhood.  Others grow up to be CEOs and