[rescue] DSL Modem question, is it worth getting a Cisco?

Dr. Robert Pasken rpasken at eas.slu.edu
Mon Nov 27 10:29:19 CST 2006

On Sat, 2006-11-25 at 23:34 -0700, Peter Porter wrote:
> Somewhat unrelated to the topic of rescue, but I'm hoping someone can
> offer some advice anyway (and these modems seems harder to come by, so
> maybe it is rescue... hmm...)
>
> I have Qwest ADSL service in Colorado with an Actiontec 701-WG modem
> with a block of static IP's.  I've had pretty reliable issues with
> needing to hard reset the modem once or twice a week and high enough
> packet loss to make VOIP irritating at times.  I'm wondering if anyone
> has experience with other perhaps more reliable ADSL modems.  I've seen
> a few from Cisco that look promising (a consumer 678 and higher end
> 827/837), but don't really want to throw my money away on something that
> may not be particularly better than what I have.  Also, it seems
> impossibly difficult to find straightforward information on ADSL hardware...
>
> Does anyone have any experience with these or otherwise helpful
> knowledge?  I'd greatly appreciate it!
>
> Thanks,
> Peter

I have the same ADSL modem with SWBELL/AT&T as a service provider. The
modem has worked flawlessly for over a year. Only powerfails prevent it
from working. My only problem is the coarse-grained security
(high,medium,low,none). The high setting prevents everything but DNS,
blocking even ssh traffic, while medium lets just about everything
through.
--
Dr. Robert Pasken <rpasken at eas.slu.edu>
Earth and Atmospheric Sciences Saint Louis University