[rescue] emo U60 moment (recommendation for SAPP on Solaris 10?)

Bryan Gurney arb_npx42 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 26 23:05:50 CST 2006

Sun Ultra 60 UPA/PCI (2 X UltraSPARC-II 450MHz), No Keyboard
OpenBoot 3.31, 768 MB memory installed, Serial #11379979.
Ethernet address 8:0:20:XX:XX:XX, Host ID: XXXXXXXX.

Boot device: /pci at 1f,4000/scsi at 3/disk at 0,0:a File and args:
SunOS Release 5.10 Version Generic_118822-25 64-bit
Copyright 1983-2005 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved.
Use is subject to license terms.
Hostname: taurine
WARNING: hme0: fault detected in device; service degraded
WARNING: hme0: No response from Ethernet network : Link down -- cable
problem?
checking ufs filesystems
/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s5: is logging.
/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s6: is logging.

taurine console login: root
Password:
Nov 26 22:21:43 taurine login: ROOT LOGIN /dev/console
Last login: Sun Jun 25 23:21:46 on console
Sun Microsystems Inc. SunOS 5.10 Generic January 2005
#

Remember that U60 that I wanted to use as a kickaround box?  Yeah, look at
the "Last login" line.  It's been a footrest for the past five months. :-(

One half of this is that I wanted to get Solaris 10 6/06 so I can have the
bug fixed regarding svm mirroring of the OS volume with journaling.  6/06
has that fix.

The other half is that I'd need a nice quiet place for this thing to hum
away and be connected to a network (and of course, hardening it so it
won't get taken over by the internets).  Not much success on that field
either.

I also want to give this thing some more RAM.  My U2, which has seen even
less usage in the past year, has 640 MB of RAM, most of which could easily
be added onto the 8 free slots in the U60.  Anybody in the Boston area
want a U2 that's a bit short on RAM? ;-)

And of course, there's apps.  I'd like to make it a web/database
kickaround box so I can finally learn some SQL beyond simple one-liners.

So basically the questions come down to:

- What do you do to tighten down how wide-open Solaris 10 is by default?
- Any tips on running a SAPP machine? (Solaris Apache PostgreSQL PHP; to
combat LAMP, or Linux Apache MySQL PHP).