[rescue] DEC keyboards

William Kirkland bill.kirkland at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 11:19:41 CST 2006

On Nov 15, 2006, at 8:36 AM, rescue-request at sunhelp.org wrote:
> Message: 9
> Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 11:27:19 -0500 (EST)
> From: der Mouse <mouse at Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
> Subject: Re: [rescue] DEC keyboards
> To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>

>>> How do you manage to run the same OS on CPU architectures as widely
>>> disparate as x86 and SPARC?
>> I believe Solaris runs on both platforms... ;^)
>
> Solaris/intel and Solaris/sparc aren't the same OS any more than a
> Ford Mustang and a Ford Taurus are the same car.

I have installed Linux on Alpha, Sparc and x86 though that was a
number of years ago. I am positive that the kernels were different
and do not recall the details of the installs ... It is commonly
reported that OpenBSD runs on a number of divergent platforms too, as
does NetBSD ...
I do not understand why you resist the concept that a properly
managed piece of code (the OS in this case) can not be portable.

bill.kirkland at gmail.com