[rescue] x86 power question

Chad McAuley chizad at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 11:13:27 CST 2006

On 11/14/06, Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk> wrote:

> That's scandalous. I'm trying to reduce the power consumption of my
> computer
> kit, not add to it.
>
> How can a plain home PC possibly justify 1kW?

Well, anything that's truely going to be pushing 1kW  wouldn't be what I'd
consider
a "plain" home PC.  A gaming rig with a SLI setup (2x300W) plus all the rest
of
the parts I'm sure could come close to 1kW under load.  Not that it makes it
any
less ridiculous, but I can certainly see it happening.

Personally, I'm not sure which I find more preposterous: that there's cards
coming
out that require that much power, or that the other option being proposed
instead of
having one monster PSU is having a secondary PSU *jsut for your video card*
that
occupies a 5.25" bay.