[rescue] x86 power question

Jonathan Groll lists at groll.co.za
Wed Nov 15 08:40:40 CST 2006

On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 10:00:20AM +0200, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> That depdends upon how and what you code. If you use a super deluxe
> incremental compiler/gui based integrated development environment,
> then you need a "real computer".

The most resource-intensive development environment I have seen thus far
is SAP's netweaver (specifically web-dynpro for Java) environment. 1GB
of RAM is not enough. Although there are other ways to do it, a simple
setup will involve installing a database engine (with graphical frontend
of course), J2EE engine, a modified eclipse environment and possibly
various local web servers.

I suspect that new versions of M$ studio will also need > 1GB RAM.

Is this a bad thing? How long is a piece of string? It certainly makes
emacs seem very lightweight by comparison, but I have noticed a
disturbing trend in most development environments whereby formerly
backend only services (eg. database services) are run on your frontend.
It is never essential to do so, but for control freaks its kind of grand
to have your own database ;-)

Cheers,
Jonathan.