[rescue] x86 power question

Magnus magnus at yonderway.com
Tue Nov 14 16:45:03 CST 2006

Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> The *laptop* I'm working on right now has *four times* as much space in
> its *video memory* as my first *hard drive*.
>
> That's ridiculous.

Yeah but how many frames grabbed from a modern video game could fit on
that hard drive?

How many frames is that newfangled card rendering per second, at obscene
resolutions (1600x1200 or higher)?

Part of the need for all of this memory is legit.  As game engines
become more sophisticated, and the price of 19"+ LCD's comes down, games
are going to be played at a much higher resolution than they were just
five years ago.  Each frame is going to suck up gobs of memory as it is
rendered and then displayed.

Do we need all that memory to surf the intarweb?  Not really.  Well, not
until IE7 and Firefox ship with a VRML engine and those obnoxious Flash
ads are replaced with something far more foul.