[rescue] x86 power question

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 12:22:49 CST 2006

On 11/14/06, Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk> wrote:
> RAID doesn't actually draw that much power. About 10W per spindle if you're
> using regular 7200RPM disks.

For the record, I never stated that RAID consumed a lot of power
(though often the fans in RAID trays that cool older 10K rpm disks
sound like turbines).  The true power hog in my x86 box was the ATI
Radeon 9800--one of those video cards with it's very own molex
connector.  I had to replace the anemic fan on the thing with a heat
pipe heat sink--the fricking noise was unbearable.

My RAID 5 in the x86 box chugs along fine, so apparently the RAID card
and disks are able to withstand power out of spec a lot better than
the motherboard.  Another data point favoring the mobo's IDE
controller being busted.

I guess reduced power consumption is another check in the "pro" column
for switching to an embedded platform NAS like a
TeraStation/Kurobox/NSLU2.

=Nadine=