[rescue] x86 power question

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Tue Nov 14 10:49:23 CST 2006

On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 11:32:14AM -0500, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> Peter Corlett wrote:
>> That's scandalous. I'm trying to reduce the power consumption of my
>> computer kit, not add to it.
> Indeed. My newest PC runs on a 120W wall wart.

Likewise. MacBook Pro, something like an 85W PSU.

>> How can a plain home PC possibly justify 1kW?
> Quad-SLI? RAID-1+0?

I have a cheap and nasty space-heater 2.5GHz Celeron box with a couple of
USB disks plugged into it and put into RAID1, which is laughingly called and
fileserver. There's also a 500MHz G4 PowerMac. Additionally there's switches
and whatnot plus a couple of other bits of kit in standby. The draw?
0.7A/200W.

RAID doesn't actually draw that much power. About 10W per spindle if you're
using regular 7200RPM disks.