[rescue] DEC keyboards

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Nov 13 16:06:01 CST 2006

Mon, 13 Nov 2006 @ 09:55 +0100, Jochen Kunz said:

> On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 23:55:55 -0800
> "Steve Jones" <smj+rescue at crash.com> wrote:
>
> > It sounds like you're describing classic DEC LK201 keyboards, as were
> > shipped with the VT220, VAXstations, Rainbow, Pro 3x0's, etc. But I
> > don't think I ever ran across any true DEC gear had such a keyboard
> > with a PS/2 interface...
> There was a PS/2 variant of the LK201. / There was a PS/2 keyboard build
> like a LK201. I have one of those buried deep somewhere in my keyboard
> pile.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't an LK201.

It was pretty much a standard PC keyboard, usually coming with DEC
Alphastations.

> Charles: If you are looking for a "good" PS/2 keyboard you may have a
> look at the first generation PS/2 keyboards from SGI. They are made by
> ALPS... Heavy, with a steelplate inside, mechanical keyswitches,
> moderate click. Here you can see one of those ALPS keyboards:

Thanks for the links.

I have a couple of IBM Model M's so I don't "need" the DEC keyboard, I
would just like to score N of them if I could find them.

> http://www.schrotthal.de/sgi/indigo2/indigo2_teal.html
> http://www.schrotthal.de/sgi/indigo2/teal_indigo2.html
> This keyboards came in beige first and in granite later.

I've used those quite a bit too.  They even look similar to the DEC
keyboard I'm after.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["I want this Perl software checked for
viruses.  Use Norton Antivirus." -- Charlie Kirkpatrick]