[rescue] advice on rescuing an e10k

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Mon Nov 13 01:19:01 CST 2006

On Wednesday 25 October 2006 17:19, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> Andrew Weiss wrote:
> >>
> >> SGI ALTIX
> >>
> >> Single Image, Linux... but they cluster them too.
> >
> > I believe that fits into the category of the Alpha/Itanium group
> > that was an exception to the rule.
>
> How about the IBM Blue Gene/L?

A BG/L is a cluster of dual proc PPC machines with way too little memory
per processor (512MB/processor pair IIRC), and a few (3 if memory serves
correctly) different interconnect networks sticking the nodes together.
It's not really a single-system-image architecure, at all.

Neat, but hard to use, and not a good match for many HPC applications.
Except for linpack, of course, which I'm convinced is what IBM really
built it for.

However, the fact that they can shove over 1000 processors in a single
CPU rack is pretty cool.

Pat