[rescue] Fun with ZFS (was: Friend needs storage solution)

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue May 30 16:06:36 CDT 2006

On Tue, 30 May 2006, Bill Bradford wrote:

>> Maybe when ZFS grows up, it'll be a nice storage subsystem, but it's too
>> much too new and too untested to use for anything you care about, IMO.
>
> Were you using OpenSolaris + ZFS, Solaris Express + ZFS, or
> Solaris Express Community Release + ZFS?

Pretty sure it was Solaris Express.

> the "b" in "b36" stands for "beta".  Lots of fixes have gone in since
> then (40 is now current).

I'm fully aware of that.  As far as I know, OpenSolaris is also a
rolling-beta sort of project.  In fact, the downloads shown on the
OpenSolaris website are also called "Nevada", so I would presume they're
the same codebase as whatever it was that I installed.

> Production-quality release of ZFS is expected in Solaris 10 6/06.

According to Sun's marketing department, yes.

For anything that's holding gigabytes and gigabytes of -my- data,
"production quality" means a bunch of other people have run it for a few
years without major disasters AND the overwhelming majority of its
failure modes are well-documented and avoidable.  Given that this will
be the first time ZFS has seen the light of day in a commercial product,
ZFS in Solaris 10 6/06 is still very-much a "1.0" release.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "The telephone is an antiquity...it is an
Elgin, TX          (   outmoded device which constantly disrupts