[rescue] Biggest drives (and SVM) in a U60?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue May 30 15:47:00 CDT 2006

Tue, 30 May 2006 @ 07:15 -0400, Phil Stracchino said:

> > Now I use a boot filesystem, but not because I need it.  I use it
> > because so many scripts and tools expect it now and I just decided to
> > do it.
> >
> > It also helps make sure your kernel stays below any kind of BIOS limit
> > on logical boot sectors.
>
> Though this is no longer an issue if you use even a *remotely*
> up-to-date version of lilo or grub.  lilo has not been constrained by
> BIOS cylinder limits for at least five years.

True, but LILO is still limited to what BIOS can see.

The difference is that modern LILO can use 32-bit LBA BIOS calls to find
the boot code.

Some PC BIOS can't use the full LBA range (though I don't understand why not),
so that's why I still have the habit of keeping / or /boot near the beginning
of the disk.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["There is no such thing as security.  Life
is either bold adventure, or it is nothing -- Helen Keller"]