[rescue] connecting to ultra 60 via usb serial adapter

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Mon May 29 10:39:13 CDT 2006

On Monday 29 May 2006 03:55, Dimitar Vasilev wrote:
> > On Sun, 28 May 2006, Dimitar Vasilev wrote:
> > > Can anyone give  tips on connecting to ultra 60 system via usb
> > > serial adapter?
>
> Thanks for the tips!
> Mine Prolific is
> http://www.serialgear.com/240-cablemax-usb2-serial-adapter.jpg. I
> have female DB9 to DB25 male adapter.
> If I get a straight db9 null modem cable and attach it tor db9 to
> db25, with appropriate gender changers I think it will work too.
> e.g.
> usb serial<-->null modem cable<-->gender
> changers<-->db9<->db25<-->ttya/b Opinions and comments are welcome!

About the cleanest/easiest way to do this is to pick up a DB25 to RJ45
and DE9 to RJ49 adapter, and wire them together with an appropriate
piece of RJ45-terminated cable...  If you can find a spare set of Cisco
console cable "parts" (a kit usually has a DE9-F to RJ45 and a DE25-F
to RJ45 set of "terminal" adapters, and a DB25-M to RJ45 "modem"
adapter).  Take the RJ45 to DE9 adapter and the DB25-M to RJ45 "modem"
adapter, and wire them together with a piece of CAT5 (not the included
roll-over cable!).

Normally, you would use a roll-over cable between connectors, but in
order to use the "modem" adapter as a "terminal" one, you'll need to
connect to it using a straight-thru cable.  Basically, to connect two
hosts using the same type ("modem" or "terminal") on each end, you need
a roll-over (not the same as ethernet cross-over!) cable, and to
connect two hosts using opposite types of adapters ("modem" on one end
and "terminal" on the other), you need to use a straight-through cable,
so that you end up with a null-modem cable.

Pat