[rescue] Server Noise Management, Redneck Style

Don Y dgy at DakotaCom.Net
Sun May 28 20:30:03 CDT 2006

Bill Bradford wrote:
> Sun CoolThreads T1000 - The First Server with Glasspack Mufflers!
>
> First, the movies with audio: (MPEG-4 Quicktime)
> http://www.sunhelp.org/docs/t1k/enclosed.mov
>
> Then, with the drawer open:
> http://www.sunhelp.org/docs/t1k/open.mov
>
> Pictures:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrbill/sets/72157594148002662/

Cool!

> I still need to add two air holes on the top with some 12V fans.

You might consider a "bent" airflow path (i.e. doubling back
on itself) to cut down on noise.  Though I think the plastic
skin will act more like a diaphram and conduct the sound
directly...

> If I put this whole thing in the closet, maybe then I wont be able to
> hear it down the hall..
>
> Maybe if I just add some dryer exhaust hoses for intake/exit air, then
> throw a blanket over the whole thing... 8-)

Naw, learn to listen to VERY LOUD MUSIC instead!  :>