[rescue] Biggest drives (and SVM) in a U60?

Thu May 25 13:10:37 CDT 2006

> [A]s a packrat, I have to add this - make sure that junk and
> "someday-useful" parts don't take over your life.

This is very true.  I'm trying to shake free from something similar
(though not quite as phrased here) myself.

> I've found that this simple rule has helped a lot - I collect, but
> anything that I've not made use of in the past year, I find a new
> home for, giving things away as necessary.

Perhaps.  But too often I've had something in live use break and been
able to go to a spare that's been sitting idle for two, three, five
years and be back up almost immediately.  I see some of my live
machines as becoming harder and harder to find spares for, so I've been
picking up spares against the days when they are made of unobtanium -
spares I am unlikely to use within a year, some of which I am unlikely
to use within five years, but which I judge worth the space to keep
against the trouble-savings having them could bring.  (Much like any
disaster insurance, actually.)

> If I'm not using something and it still has life in it, it needs to
> go to someone who will benefit.

There's that.  If I've got plenty of spares of something, or if it's
something I could get along comfortably without with minimal work, and
someone has a reasonably pressing need for it, I'll often give it away.
(I'm not entirely comfortable yet with doing this, but I make myself do
it anyway; knowing it's going to be used and appreciated makes it a lot
easier.  And "practice makes perfect"; the more I do this the less
difficult I find it.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca