[rescue] Biggest drives (and SVM) in a U60?

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at gmail.com
Thu May 25 08:21:27 CDT 2006

On 5/19/06, Bryan Gurney <arb_npx42 at comcast.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 19 May 2006 04:05:47 -0400, Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net> wrote:
>
> > How did you manage to get 768MB out of four sticks?  Or do you mean
> > there's four 128MB and four 64MB?
> >

> Bit late on replying (today's my day off, woo!), but there were four 64 MB sticks installed initially, but he grabbed four more and they turned out to be 128 MB sticks.  At the time he said he didn't know what size they were, "they could be 16 MB sticks for all I know", and he was trying to turn on the U60 with a keyboard and a Sony monitor plugged in, but was getting nothing (he said I could bring it back if it was a dud).  I took it home, plugged in the null-modem cable, and saw the banner reporting 768 MB of RAM, and cheered because I didn't have to raid the U2's memory.  It turned out that the output-device and input-device OBP variables were set to "ttya" instead of "screen" and "keyboard".
>
> I want to get this machine onto that monitor, but I think I have the wrong cabling (I have a cable that has HDB15 on one end and 13W3 on the other, but I've never had a positive result with it).  I think I need to track down one of those small 13w3 to VGA port adapters (the ones that are three inches long), but the next time I can effectively do that is the next MIT swapfest, which has been a crapshoot lately (there never seems to be anything better than a U10 there, and it's devolved into ordinary people shuffling around their castoffs, since all the companies and colleges now turn to professional "recyclers" to get rid of their computers.  I wonder why they can't just take all the hard disks out and have a volunteer go to the swapfest and actually MAKE some money on getting rid of the boxes, instead of PAYING to get rid of them).

Throwing away hardware is a grave sin. I recently got employed as a
system administrator; I care about the planet's well-being and I
refuse to dump toxic materials that can be put to good use.

A swapfest sounds like a good idea. Not like I have much to swap, but
maybe I should look into getting something like that here in Belgium.

--
Frank Van Damme