[rescue] Sun GT (graphics tower) model 347

Janet Campbell janet at foonly.com
Tue May 23 22:28:30 CDT 2006

On Tue, 23 May 2006, Richard wrote:

> There is a connector spanning two cards on the rear of the card cage
> that says "pixel bus" -- is this what you're referring to about the
> additional P2 bus wiring?

I really had thought there were additional VME backplane differences, but
perhaps not.

> I don't suppose there's any chance of a part number?
> Is this on the list of cards on sunhelp.org?

sbus adapter board 501-1693, cable 530-1684.  You can find a lot of
information in the GT service manual:

http://docs.sun.com/source/800-5264-11/

> In other words, I'll need a period sun4 in order to run the thing,
> which I kinda expected.  The hard part would be getting the interface
> bits -- Sbus card, cabling and driver software.

The driver software came with Solaris up to 2.4, and SunOS 4.1.4 (possibly
4.1.3u1 as well).  I'd stick with Solaris 2.4 though.  The cards and
cables aren't especially common but I'm sure they still pop up every once
in a while.

> Do you know what year it was produced?  There isn't much
> chronology/timeline information on sunhelp.org.

I'm pretty sure that it was 1992-1993.

> Can you tell me which Sun FE Handbook might have information?

I have at least one with this information in it, it's circa 1994
(immediately prior to the Ultras).  The online service manual has more
information, though.

-Janet