[rescue] VME bus Suns?

Janet Campbell janet at foonly.com
Mon May 22 18:37:10 CDT 2006

On Mon, 22 May 2006, Richard wrote:

> Were all the SPARC based Suns S-bus, or were any of them VME bus?

The 4/600 was both.

> Were all the VME bus Suns 680x0 based?

In a nutshell...

The VME Suns had a numeric naming scheme, eg 3/280, 4/490, etc.  The first
number denoted the CPU family - 4 was SPARC, and 3 and below were 68k.
The next digit indicated the CPU board, of which several were available
for each family.  Of the SPARC CPU boards, the 4/100, 4/200, 4/300 and
4/400 were SPARC V7 (similar to the SparcStation 1 and friends) and the
4/600 was a sun4m SPARC V8 board with sbus slots - essentially a
SparcStation 10 on a VME card.

The third digit indicated the chassis type.  I think most of this is
covered pretty well in Birdsall's great Sun Hardware Reference.

-Janet