[rescue] Biggest drives (and SVM) in a U60?

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Fri May 19 11:19:46 CDT 2006

" From: Mike Meredith <very at zonky.org>
"
" On Thu, 18 May 2006 21:57:44 -0400, Bryan Gurney wrote:
" > So to summarize the original point of this email, is there a hard
" > ceiling for the 1998-era SCSI-based Sun machines, or can I buy at
" > will?
"
" []
"
" UFS itself can't deal with a filesystem larger than 16Tbytes, and the
" root filesystem should be less than 2Gbytes (there are exceptions to
" this, but unless you're dealing with something modern, it's safest to
" stick to 2Gbytes).

what's the reasoning, on an ultra?  sun4m/sun4d have a hard 2G limit
and sun4c won't even go that high unless you have a late-model obp
[>2.6?  remember the biggest optional disks in teh ss2 were sun0424s]
but afaik there's no reason to scrimp on an ultra.  my u1 has /, /usr,
and /opt in one 4G slice, and it's currently 70% full.