[rescue] Biggest drives (and SVM) in a U60?

Steve Pacenka s.pacenka at verizon.net
Fri May 19 10:52:40 CDT 2006

On Thursday 18 May 2006 21:57, Bryan Gurney wrote:

> But one thing I want to do is have bigger disks;
> preferably 74 GB.  I've seen a U2 running with 74 GB disks just fine, but
> are there any other considerations with the U60?

I have 73Gi and 181Gi drives in my U60.  No problems yet.

> So to summarize the original point of this email, is there a hard ceiling
> for the 1998-era SCSI-based Sun machines, or can I buy at will?

Mine has used 4G, 18G, 36G, 50G, 73G (10K rpm), and 181G at various times.
The only thing that ever raised my concern was that a second 73G 10K drive
was running at up to 60C temperature.  The other one installed concurrently
was running in the low 40's.  I was expecting no more than 50C on both, based
on experience with the same drives in U5 and U10.  Perhaps heat from one was
being conducted via metal or air to the other ...

-- SP