[rescue] Biggest drives (and SVM) in a U60?

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri May 19 08:31:19 CDT 2006

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 09:57:44PM -0400, Bryan Gurney wrote:

> So to summarize the original point of this email, is there a hard
> ceiling for the 1998-era SCSI-based Sun machines, or can I buy at
> will?

181gig drives will work.  I suspect that even 300 gig drives will work.

Also, Acard SCSI<->IDE adapters are known to work (and the company
supports Solaris), allowing you to use pretty much any size IDE disk or
most types of CD/CD-RW/DVD/DVD-+RW drives.

Finally, apparently SATA disks can be used with a SAS controller under
Solaris.  The controller is pricey, but if you are using a lot of
drives, then the controller is probably cheaper than buying seperate
Acard adapters or buying 300gig SCSI disks.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net
http://www.jdboyd.net/