[rescue] Sun 911 Case w/ Drives

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Wed May 17 23:07:38 CDT 2006

" From: "Curtis H. Wilbar Jr." <rescue at hawkmountain.net>
"
" On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 10:30, Sandwich Maker wrote:
" > " From: "Aaron Finley" <aaronfinley at gmail.com>
" > "
" > " I have a Sun 911 Case in good shape w/ 6 4GB Seagate Hawks in it. Works fine.
" >
" > st15230n, right?  i have a soft spot for these since my first sparc,
" > an ss2/weitek, ran a brace of these for almost ten years [and probably
" > still would, if i hadn't let the ps fan die]
"
" I really liked the ST15150N drives way back when....
" Of course, they ran HOT HOT HOT... but if you kept them cook, they
" were speedy (for the day), and were nearly bulletproof...

yup; had an encounter with the early 'cuda myself.  they were toasty
indeed.

" I'd never dare run one inside a ss1/1+/5/10 ... they'd just roast
" themselves.

me either; that's why i chose hawks for my system.  their power
dissipation closely matched st1480n which were optional in ss2s.  one
of the two drives is still working.

they did me well, and 8G was a lot of disk space back then, under
sunos4.  it wasn't bad under 2.6 either.  i even worked up an
alternate geometry that exactly fit their available space...  it
bothered me that the default recommended left ~2M on the table, and
i verified by experiment that you only need -one- alternate cyl.